Sunday, October 18, 2015

MEZCO ONE:12 Collective Thoughts

My One:12 Collective Judge Dredd figure arrived yesterday and reminded me anew just how awesome the line is. I do have the Dark Knight Batman (both the regular and PX Exclusive versions) and it really is an amazing action figure. But my excitement waned a bit between that release and Dredd's. However, once I got the Judge in-hand, well...just Holy Cow. What an amazing figure. And that got me to thinking about my own One:12 Collective wishes.

I've seen pictures of the upcoming releases in the line: Superman, Flash, Space Ghost and Frankenstein. They look cool and all, but I don't honestly have any interest in any of them. And in all honesty, I feel like Mezco might be overlooking the real power of what they have here. They've created a way to articulate action figures while keeping a gorgeous aesthetic. So, it would be logical to tackle figures who have never been able to meet that standard: figures whose sculpt hinders their articulation because they haven't been clothed in cloth. Superman? Flash? Too many of those out there already, with some really excellent articulation. Frankenstein? Doesn't need great articulation in my mind. Space Ghost? Ok, yeah, he's pretty cool but I just don't have much of an investment. That all said, I decided to consider: which characters do I really love, and wish they had a highly detailed sculpt NOT RESTRICTED by plastic clothing?

I came up with two at the top of my list:
1) Gandalf the Wizard. I love this character, especially in the books. And Toy Biz did a really fair job with many versions of him. In fact, their "White" is my current favorite Gandalf. But, his layers and layers of cloaks and robes really make any kind of posing difficult. Toy Vault did a clothed version nearly 20 years ago, but the sculpt underneath it all is...well, 20 years old. Mezco could finally do this character justice, really and truly. A highly articulated Gandalf, with a great sculpt, appropriate accessories and an so many iterations - I think it would be a real gold-mine for the line. In fact, if Mezco managed somehow to get Harry Potter and the assorted characters from that world into the One:12 Collective, it would be all over (Star Ace is getting a lot of great press for their 12" versions; I'm certain Mezco could match their quality in this 6" scale).

2) Lara Croft. NECA did a fair job at sculpting some good Tomb Raider figures, but they never managed to get any articulation in there, and the faces were never painted in a manner that did the figures justice. Imagine a line of Lara Croft figures articulated enough to allow her to be posed as she should, while still capturing a beautiful likeness. She's iconic and the reboot has given the franchise new life. Now is the time for my dream Lara! Mezco...please?

If I want to get crazy, there are a couple more figures I can wish for that I know would never happen, but which I can imagine as One:12 Collective jems. Vin Diesel as Richard B. Riddick from "The Chronicles of Riddick". The Major, Motoko Kusanagi from "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex". Aragorn and the Witch King Ringwraith from LotR. Darth Vader and Darth Maul. Mark Messier in a NY Rangers Captain's jersey with the 1994 Stanley Cup....

...ah, well...I can dream and wish...

Please share your own thoughts and wishes, as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment