Friday, August 21, 2015

CARNOTAURUS - New Battat Terra Figure


My son, God bless him, found this terrific Carnotaurus for me last night. I stumbled across the Amargasaurus and Ceratosaurus Battat Terra releases some weeks back, but have never been able to find Carnotaurus, despite searching quite a few Targets. But, lo and behold, leave it to my 9-year-old to have the magic touch!

The figure is really cool, with a neat sculpt and toned-down paint. I like the splash of color across the throat, and the horns on mine look pretty good. The eyes are a little wonky (seems the pupils are an issue across the line), but the paint is otherwise great. I noticed a couple of odd things about the sculpt. First, the left foot is sculpted with the heel flat and the toes raised. It almost looks like the ties in the package have warped the foot, pulling the back down when it was meant to be up? Not sure, but it does look strange. The other interesting thing is how narrow the skull looks when viewed face-on. It's very different from the other Carnotaurus figures I have, and makes for a unique figure of a unique dinosaur. Since Battat is so well-respected for their accuracy, I'm going to assume that this is the correct look and my Schleich and Papo versions are too rounded. In any event, it's a cool figure.

The arms on this guy are also not swept back, as they seem to be on the other versions I have, but hang down. The tail curves downward to meet the base of the box interior.

Overall, it's great to have the Battat Terra Carnotaurus added to the collection. I've been fortunate to find all of the new releases I'm aware of, and hope that Target and the Dan Lo Russo Collection keep up with the re-releases far into the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment