Monday, September 14, 2015

GREAT WHITE SHARK - Papo figure


"Jaws" seemed to be on tv just about every other night this summer, in celebration of its anniversary. "Jaws" was the first "grown-up" movie I ever loved - I remember watching it over and over - and it got me obsessed with sharks in general, and Great Whites especially. I picked up Funko's awesome shark while the summer blitz was on, and it made me want a realistic replica, as well.

I'd been eyeing the Schleich Great White, but decided to go with Papo, since I've generally been quite happy with the quality of their work.

The Papo Great White is surprisingly large (relative to the Schleich version, and what I was expecting), measuring nearly 7 & 1/4" long, despite a slight curve to the tail.


I really like the sculpt. They've given the eyes very sharp and prominent ridge lines from the snout on back, and the proportions of the entire animal are really great. My only nit here is that the lower jaw is a separate piece, glued in place, and the attachment line is very noticeable. The mouth is otherwise excellent, with two rows of teeth clearly visible on the lower jaw. All of the teeth are individually sculpted and painted. In fact, the entire figure is painted really beautifully, with one exception: the smaller fins on the underside have a weird silver stripe. It almost seems like a masking mistake while the dark grey was being applied. It's odd, and pretty sloppy. The shark is otherwise painted perfectly.

I really like my Papo Great White Shark. It looks awesome, and was exactly what I was looking for. I'm certainly glad I chose it over the Schleich version...


No comments:

Post a Comment