Saturday, October 31, 2015

MOTOKO KUSANAGI - Banpresto Ghost in the Shell Arise statue review


My relationship with Ghost in the Shell is an ever-evolving one. It's not something I immediately took to, and with every new incarnation comes a bit of "adjustment" on my part. The original film left me confused, but bored enough to not really care. When I got a bit older and re-visited it, I was able to appreciate it much more. I've since watched (and really loved) both "Stand Alone Complex" seasons, the Solid State Society follow-up, and even "Innocence", to some degree. But "Arise" really took some getting used to...

I watched Borders 1 and 2 of the Arise series about a year ago, and the best I could say was that didn't hate them (I personally preferred the 1st to the 2nd). Motoko's new look and personality didn't really click too well for me, and the new, less-refined personality angles on the rest of the team members were much the same. At that point, I had a hard time appreciating that these characters were new to one another, and to the idea of the Section as a "team".

I saw Banpresto's Arise Kusanagi statue at that time, but decided that since I didn't much care for the character design in the films I shouldn't bother with buying a figure.

Fast forward to this past month and the release of Borders 3 and 4, which re-ignited my interest in Ghost in the Shell. I re-watched the entire series from the beginning, and wow did I see things differently! The four Borders come together well in a story arc that I enjoyed, and a character treatment of the Major that I grew to appreciate. That, combined with a reveal from Figma of a New Movie Major figure due for release next February, and I knew I had to order Banpresto's statue.

The box arrived unexpectedly from Japan yesterday, providing a wonderful surprise-ending to an otherwise exhausting work week (love when that happens!).

The actual package is fairly unassuming, but does a fine job of protecting the statue, while allowing you to see what you're getting inside. Kusanagi is sandwiched between two plastic clamshells, unattached to her base. There's a plastic wrap around her, keeping the rubbing to a minimum, and hopefully helping to ensure no paint rubs. It was surprising to me how far back the figure is set in the packaging - I had expected the front window to have a clear plastic flush against it, which it does not. However, everything inside was snug and safe.

There are no images on the box, the red and white are pretty stark, and everything is written in Japanese, save the heading on the front and top.

In sharp contrast to the dull, utilitarian box, the figure inside is really terrific! This version of Major Motoko Kusanagi stands 7 & 1/2 inches tall, on a large black base. She is made of a hard, rigid plastic, and features no points of articulation.

The sculpt and paint details are top-notch. The shirt, jacket and pants are all full of appropriate wrinkles, with the jacket and pants getting an airbrush of a darker color at the creases to add some depth. There are loads of buckles and zippers all over the place, painted nicely with a shiny silver (no bleed, either!).

There's a really odd strap/belt and buckle in the middle of the jacket's back - not really sure what function that would serve - but it's done well. The boots are a darker, deeper shade of red to set them apart from the pants and jacket.

The plastic of the bare skin is cast in flesh colored plastic, which looks great. The whole thing contrasts so beautifully with her hair, which is in such an awesome shade of purple/blue that it seems to change depending on the lighting. The face is gorgeous, with super-clear details all around the eyes. I think they've actually succeeded in making the statue more attractive than the animation did.

I do find the pose to be a bit awkward. Her upper half is in mid-twist to her left, while her legs are slightly pigeon-toed, with her right heel lifting. That, combined with her chin-down and shoulder thrust out make for an odd overall pose. Try standing like this - maybe you'll see what I mean. It's all just very unnatural.

The twist and downward glare make this a difficult figure to place on the shelf. She looks best above eye-level, and with the base set so that it's more of a "diamond" than a "square", with a corner as the front rather than a side as the front (that all sounds really awkward, but hopefully it makes some sense).

Once on the shelf, though, the statue is just great. The colors are so unique, and the detailing is so rich that she's wonderful to stare at. The hair in particular has great, deep strands, and the pistol stands out beautifully against the flesh color of her hand and the deep red of her outfit. It's truly a striking piece.


The base is probably the weakest part of this figure. It's a black square with a "wall" on two sides behind the figure. There's a little detail of lines and circles (screw heads, maybe?) carved onto the surface, but it's pretty boring and doesn't really set the figure off in any way. There's a raised portion to meet the heel of her right foot, and the pegs are really snug, so she's not going anywhere once she's attached. I do wish it was less obtrusive (it's needlessly "thick" looking) and enhanced the figure in some way, but whatever. It's a base.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this figure. It captures the Arise look of the character well, and it is really nicely done. Best of all, it is relatively inexpensive and can be had for a little over $30.






No comments:

Post a Comment