Sunday, April 17, 2016

BATMAN ARKHAM ORIGINS - NECA 1/4 Scale Figure


NECA's got me again. I never, ever thought I'd be interested in a 1/4 scale line of figures. They are just too big for me - I have trouble with 12, 10 and even 9 inch figures in my collection. The latter are mostly made up of Play Arts Kai figures, which I find frustrating and leave me disappointed 9 times out of 10. I only have a small handful of 1/6 scale figures, and they are mostly put into a vanilla pose right out of the box and quickly forgotten on the shelf. I often find them too "doll-like" and I'm almost always terrified of breakage because of their incredibly high price points. So, bigger than that? Never. Until...

It was actually the design of the suit that won me over and brought me to this figure. I really love the look on the DC Collectibles Arkham Origins Batman figure, and in researching that figure prior to purchasing it, I stumbled across this NECA version, and their 1/4 scale Arkham Knight. The reviews are nearly unanimous in their praise, and so I decided to dip into the pool and pick this guy up. Boy, am I glad that I did, and (yes) the Arkham Knight version is on its way, so that dip seems like it's quickly turning into a dive into the deep end!

There are plenty of reviews of this guy already posted all around, and I don't want to rehash what's already been said. The figure looks amazing, is painted really nicely and poses much better than one would think. Mine has cockeyed hips (you can see it was packaged that way), so he's a little more precarious than I'd like on the shelf. My only real complaints are that there's a real noticeable mold line on the outside of the cowl, and the black paint on the nostrils is a bit heavy-handed. Otherwise, this guy is about as close to perfect as I could want. The extra hands swap out super-easily, and the accessories (Batclaw in the right and Batarang in the left) fit perfectly. I'm not sure how the Claw is supposed to sit in the extra belt clip, and since there are no instructions I'll have to re-check some reviews. The cape is fairly thin fabric and is really wrinkled by the way it's packed, so it might take some steam to get it to lay flat, but it drapes well over or behind the shoulders and looks good as-is.

Like others, I can't say enough about how pleased I am with this figure. It's a terrific looking representation of a really striking version of my favorite character. The sculpt is excellent, the detail is superb and the paint is really good. The accessories are appropriate and well-made, and he makes for a very enjoyable collectable. And he's so big! He's definitely not a doll...



Size Comparison with JAKKS 19" BigFig BvS Batman


No comments:

Post a Comment