Saturday, December 31, 2016

CAPTAIN AMERICA - Civil War Kotobukiya ArtFX 1/10 scale statue


Captain America is not my favorite super hero. But he is my daughter's, by a long shot. So when she got this statue for Christmas I decided to take a look at it. Kotobukiya does some great statues. I have a Bishoujo Christie Monteiro that's one of the nicest pieces in my entire collection! So, I'm not surprised at the quality of the sculpt and detail work on Captain America.

Cap, here, is actually advertised as a pre-painted model kit, but don't let that intimidate you. The statue comes in about 4 or 5 separate pieces that snap into place seamlessly and very quickly. Once assembled, it's nearly impossible to tell where the attachment points are.

The paint work is excellent (with one exception, which we will get to momentarily), with everything clean and sharp. The eyes, as tiny as they are, have a wet gloss, the shield shines and everything else is an appropriate matte. There's some drybrush highlighting to give the illusion of wear and depth to the figure, and he's in a dynamic pose that's meant to pair with another statue of Iron Man to create "an incredible battle scene." At 1/10 scale, he stands about 6" on the base (with a heavy forward lean) and 6 & 3/4" including the base.

Speaking of the base, it's a nicely detailed cracked pavement that unfortunately has a bit too much of a sheen to it. The gloss makes it come off as more toy-like than I'd prefer, but it's a fairly minor gripe. My bigger (and only, really) problem with the figure (and the paint) is the skin color. Though there isn't much showing, what's there comes across as more grey than fleshtone, and it does throw the figure off a bit to me. I'd have much preferred a little more life to the skin, matching the box art more closely.

That said, this is a really nice display piece for Captain America fans. It looks good and captures the essence of the character well. Considering my previous post on McFarlane Toys's newest Spawn figure statue, I think there's certainly a place for plastic statues like this in a collection, and I can see why McFarlane Toys might look at this and decide that's their niche. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the work McFarlane is producing at a $20 price point rivals this statue, which retails for about 3 times that much...




No comments:

Post a Comment