Thursday, December 31, 2020

Mazinger Z - Bandai Tamashii Nations Super Robot Chogokin figure review


The Super Robot Chogokin version of Mazinger Z is my idea of the "bare bones minimum" you can get for a chogokin figure. It's small, standing about 5" tall, and features very little in the way of useful accessories. That said, it's a beautiful figure with some great articulation packed into a small size, and boasts a decent level of die-cast metal content. 

SRC Mazinger Z is a pretty cool looking figure. The sculpt is good, and the high gloss red, black and blue really reflect light wonderfully. Proportions are good - aesthetically speaking, it's an excellent figure. It comes with a removable pilder (which I needed to file a little to get it to sit properly in the crown), a sword (which I don't recall him ever using - I associate the Mazinger Blade more with Great Mazinger), a couple of alternate hands (which are very difficult to snap into place) and a pair of alternate "metallic" giant hands (as well as an enlarged forearm for them to snap onto). That's it. No effect parts, no stand, no scrander or rocket punch. The good news is that those are available, but only via a separate accessories pack that runs an additional $30-$50 on the aftermarket. I paid about $80 new for this figure, which is currently a decent price. It's a nifty little figure, and isn't bad as a starter Mazinger Z figure, or as an introduction to the world of chogokin, but it really isn't a stand-out in any way. I think for it's original $40-ish price tag, I would have been much happier. I did have a Great Mazinger SRC figure that I unfortunately sold off a few years back, much to my regret. That figure had tons of great accessories and some wonderful Thunder Break lightning effects! Might have to re-buy it now that I think of it...







No comments:

Post a Comment