Sunday, December 30, 2012

GOLDBERG - WWE Ruthless Aggression Series 6


There have been a lot of bad Goldberg figures done over the years (and I don't mean "bad" in the "good" way. JAKKS always seemed to find a way to goof his face scan, so I never bothered to pick one up, despite my enjoyment of Goldberg's complete and total domination in the ring. With my recent (slight) re-interest in professional wrestling ignited, I stumbled across a Goldberg I could actually accept, and this is it: JAKKS Pacific Ruthless Aggression Series 6...

I actually really like the idea of this packaging- clamshell front and back, so that MIP collectors don't have to feel cheated. The card itself is a mess of odd lines and colors- not sure what they were going for here, but the figure is shown off completely, fore and aft. This particular Goldberg comes with a red chair. Now, on to the main show.

This scan has appeared in several different incarnations of Goldberg, so search around and see what you can find. I've seen the black and white shorts kind, one with a Championship belt, and another without white trim on the trunks. They all share the same sculpt, though, complete with the same face scan, so any one would suffice- pick one with accessories you want and you're good to go!

As I said earlier, this is THE Goldberg figure for me. The face scan is good, the paint works well, and even the torso sculpt is mostly fitting. I've got some nitpicks to share, of course, but keep in mind that my overall impression of the figure is a good one.

I'll start with the sculpt itself. Goldberg was (is) immense, and though this figure is quite ripped, it's not quite perfect. Toy Goldberg's head is a tad too large for the body, a case which is emphasized by the photo included in the lower corner of the clamshell. I think it's got to do with his shoulders, actually. The figure's aren't quite big enough.

I haven't opened Goldberg yet, but I predict that he's going to have some trouble dropping his arms down any further than they are to his sides. It just looks like the shoulder ball is at its lowest point in-package, and his arms are out at like 30 or 40 degrees.

Finally, the hip articulation looks fairly restricted as basic cut joints without a whole lot of forward or backward movement. Of course, I could be wrong, and wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised. Time will tell.

My last little nitpick is with the lack of elbow pads- the picture's got em, why doesn't the figure?


I'm really happy with this version of Goldberg. There are a few small things I'd tweak, but until Mattel decides to release an Elite version, this one will serve as the definitive Goldberg on my shelf.


No comments:

Post a Comment