Monday, January 18, 2016

JUDGE DREDD - Art Figures Artistic Interpretation "Heavy Cop" Version 2.0: DAY 1

One of the reviews I had the most fun doing (ever) was for the Griffon Enterprises T-rex. For that review, I spent nearly a week unboxing and examining the figure, really spending some time with the opening. I'll be doing something similar here, with Art Figures' take on Karl Urban's portrayal of Judge Dredd in the movie Dredd.

There are two movies that I seem to return to over and over again for a fun re-watch: The Chronicles of Riddick and Dredd. SOTA did a wonderful line of figures based on the former, while the latter has never had a proper line of figures. Art Figures has (relatively) recently done 1/6 scale versions of both main characters as unlicensed Limited Edition figures (I'm hoping to pick up Riddick when I've got the money), and since I missed out on the 1st release of "Heavy Cop" I decided I didn't want to pass up on Version 2.0

I tend to shy away from 1:6 figures. I have 2 in my collection, both Hot Toys, and I like them just fine, but I honestly tend to just put them behind glass and forget about them. Nevertheless, I took the plunge with Judge Dredd, here. Despite my hopes and wishes, I'm almost positive that I won't be seeing a proper 1:12 scale movie Dredd (or updated Riddick, for that matter) any time soon, so I figured I might as well go for it. For this Day 1 post, I'm just taking a look at initial impressions.

The box is very nice, actually. The front panel features beautiful deep blue artwork of Dredd along with  the words, "Artistic Interpretation Art Figures AF-015 Limited Edition". There's another image of Dredd on the back. The sides containt a warning for younger kids about the contents being dangerous, but considering the cost of this figure and the content of the movie it's based on, I don't imagine too many 10 year-olds cracking open their piggy banks to get this guy. The front panel is thick, sturdy cardstock and keeps closed with two magnets. In all, it works very well - it's classy while protecting the contents nicely.

Inside is a foam panel, and underneath are the figure and its accessories. The figure looks awesome and smells awesome, and I'm honestly freaked out by the amount of armor and straps I'm going to have to attach (which is why I'm doing this over several days, hoping my patience will hold out). The head sculpt looks great, even without the helmet on, which I was honestly worried about, and everything looks like it's where it should be. So far, I'm very excited! If the quality of the figure holds up to the quality of the package, and nothing breaks or proves useless, this could be an amazing figure! Tomorrow, I will mess with the hair and the accessories, and maybe even try to attach a part or two...



No comments:

Post a Comment