Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Lara Croft in Jungle Outfit - Playmates Toys Tomb Raider figure


I recently had a request through my earlier post of my Tomb Raider collection shelf display for a review of one of the figures. I called it "Large Size Lara Croft". It's actually a Playmates Toys 8" Lara Croft from one of their larger sized diorama sets. In the late 1990's Playmates did a line of about a half dozen smaller sized (6") figures with diorama display bases under the Adventures of Lara Croft banner. They also produced 3 (I think) larger, 8" figures with dioramas. One was Lara Croft in Wetsuit, which came with a dock display. Another was Area 51 Lara Croft, which came in an industrial display. And the third was Lara Croft in Jungle Outfit, from which my figure comes. I actually purchased the figure loose, not knowing that it was the Playmates figure at the time, and it came a bit warped and scuffed.


Jungle Outfit Lara stands about 9" tall, has two pistols that can be stored in her hip holsters or held in her hands, and sports very little articulation: v-hips, swivel neck, swivel shoulders and a swivel at the left elbow allowing for inward/outward rotation of the forearm. That's a total of 6 points. It's only enough to fine tune the stance she's been given, with the locations of the arms to the guns as the aspect giving the figure its personality. Unlike her junior version, this Lara comes with her sunglasses on. And that's about it. Jungle Outfit Lara is a dated piece, and would probably look a whole lot better on her original, included base. As she is, she's ok, but I'm happy to have her in my collection. I've got the larger Wetsuit Lara, as well (also without the diorama dock base), with only Area 51 Lara missing. Might have to remedy that some day...


Alongside SOTA Riddick

4 comments:

  1. Many thanks for taking the time to do this.

    You have a really cool collection of figures and it's so nice of you to share such detailed reviews.

    Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind words - it's my pleasure! And if you've got any other requests, send them my way. As far as Lara goes, I'm eagerly awaiting my pre-ordered Play Arts Kai "Rise of the Tomb Raider" version, due out next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looked that one up and it does look rather good!

    Are you familiar with Sideshow Lara Croft Temple of Osiris statue by Gaming Heads?

    https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/tomb-raider-lara-croft-temple-of-osiris-gaming-heads-902402/

    That's got to be one of the most detailed Lara Croft statues I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am familiar with it. I had it on pre-order and canceled it. It looks beautiful, but the price was just too high for me ($350). I'm happy with the Gaming Heads Survivor Statue, but even that was stretching it at $250...

    ReplyDelete