Sunday, March 4, 2012

Transformers Prime - Voyager Class Optimus Prime - In-Pack Peek

The Voyager Class rendition of Transformers Prime's main "man", Optimus Prime, is finally out, boy was he worth the wait!

Optimus comes packaged in a colorful and eye-catching window box which is suitable for display, and which does well to protect the contents effectively. He is easily visible inside the package, and his arm cannon weapon features a "try me" cut-out, along with a light-up feature (batteries included). The package features the new "Robots in Disguise" mantra that the entire Transformers Prime line shares. There's not much else to share here. The box looks great, and the back features some personalization. It isn't overly large or wasteful and does its job well. On to the figure!

Simply put, Optimus Prime looks brilliant. The robot mode, featured inside the package, looks really close to the screen version. The blue tinted windshield chest plates even feature some embedded detailing of their own. Some of the portions of his arms are cast in matching clear-blue plastic.

 I really like the color choices and, as I said earlier, he looks really close to the version featured in the show. Optimus comes complete with his blaster (which has the action feature) and his sword. Once he's out of package, I'll have a better idea of the alt mode and the conversion process, so I'll update with that info once I have it. There are two oddities with Optimus in robot mode. One is the face. It's close, but not quite spot on to the show. I think it's something with the eyes, much like with the Prime Megatron. The show face uses pupils to convey emotion, and the toy doesn't have any. Eyes are really hard to get spot-on in general, so I can certainly forgive any differences, which seem to me to be less pronounced than with Megatron.

The other oddity is with Optimus's back. He's got a large block-shape attached to his back. I know it's part of the constraints of reality that these really need to convert, unlike animated depictions, but it's really obtrusive to the look for me. Transformers Animated Optimus managed to stay so close to the source material, I just wish they were able to find a way to do so here, as well. I also liked the sliding face-shield feature that version has, and wish it could have been a part of Prime Optimus, too. After all, he spends SO MUCH of the show with no face-shield, it would have provided a nice display option. That said, Optimus is masterful. I love this version and think he's a terrific edition to the Prime line-up!


No comments:

Post a Comment