Saturday, June 23, 2012

Batmobile & Batman - Mezco Mez-itz Review

I don't usually go in for super-deformed, miniature or bobble-headed versions of anything; I prefer either a very realistic rendition of my favorite characters or a clearly animated look to them. That said, I must have about 50 different Batman figures in my ever-growing collection, and the impending release of The Dark Knight Rises has prompted me to add several more very recently. Which brings us to the topic of this review. I noticed the new release of Mezco's Mez-its Batman and Batmobile at my local Toys R Us last week. Initially I passed on the set, but something about it caught my eye and my attention. So when a 20% off coupon showed up, I took the plunge. Was it worth it? Read on to find out...
The Batmobile & Batman set comes in a window box, which shows off the goods as well as it can. You've got a nice view of exactly what you are getting, so you can examine for paint applications with little to no surprise on opening. The package is a little delicate (you'll notice the sides poofing out), and the bubble is easy to dent and crease, so if you want to keep it MIP, I'd pick one up soon, without letting too many hands get to it before yours.

There's not much to the box back- you can see exactly what you're getting through the bubble, so the photo on the back is a bit redundant. No credits, no narrative, nothing. Oh, but the "Ages 15 and Up" appears both on the front and back, so Mezco seems pretty adamant about that, for whatever reason.

On to the contents: Batman is a cute little, big-headed Dark Knight. Everything is done through the paint apps, so check carefully in the package to make sure you find one you like. I saw several with a weird mold nipple on his left jawline, in case you are looking. The paint is clear and looks good, as you can see. He's got a ball-jointed head, swivel shoulders and hips. There's a cloth cape that feels really thin to me. I'm worried it's going to rip off with a little handling, so I'd recommend being very gentle with it.

You won't be getting any dynamic poses out of this guy, but then again, that's not why you'd want this set in the first place, is it?

Now on to the main attraction: the Batmobile. The car features some nice rolling curves, and the very high dome, along with the tail fins, adds to the retro-futuristic feel of it. She's very smooth- all of the detailing is done with paint that's applied very well. I'm a stickler for symmetry, and everything looks like it's been applied perfectly. I did pore through the ones available on the shelf, and out of 8 or 9 I did only find one I was willing to call "acceptable", though. Several had paint drips, or the details on the wheels were crinkled, and maybe 3 of them had finger prints on the windows where whoever added the top left quite an "impression" on the car...
She looks just as good going as she does coming, as you can see in the pictures.

Incidentally, the car feels like its make of vinyl or something, rather than the typical plastic you'd find on Mattel's Batman toys. I suppose this makes sense- this "toy" doesn't really seem like it's made for playing. Hence, the "15 and Up" command, the smooth contours, the not-very-poseable Batman, oh, and I almost forgot, the NON-ROLLING-WHEELS. That's right, this car has wheels attached to metal axles that seem like they should move, but are intended to NOT move. Should you doubt me, I finally noticed a small baggie taped to the inside bottom of the package with the following note inside:
See? I wasn't kidding, and yes this note probably saved me breaking the thing by forcing the wheels to turn, so don't do it. I'm not sure why the wheels don't turn, but keep that in mind when you are checking the packages in-store: the hubcap decals should be oriented correctly, since you won't be able to adjust them at all.

The top comes off pretty easily- it's held in by 4 pegs and fits nice and tightly. Revealed underneath is a really well-detailed cockpit. Lots of dials, gauges, Joker's face on a screen and foot-peg holes for Batman and a companion rider. It all looks great and is a highlight of the car (too bad it's covered up with the top on!).


Batman fits into ride very snugly, and the overall look in convertible mode is great. His cape even flows back behind him pretty naturally.
With the top on and Batman inside, he's barely visible. The windows are tinted, as they should be, but with some light he can be seen. So, we return to the initial question: is this a set worth adding to all of the other Batman figures and vehicles out there? For me, the Batmobile is, Batman not so much. The car has a great look and feel to it, and will do a great job on my desk. Honestly, I picked this set up for 2 reasons: 1) the 20% off coupon (at $16, I feel like I'm almost getting it for what it's worth; $20 is pushing it), and 2) the Mez-its Tumbler that's on the way. I personally love the Tumbler, and didn't want to regret not having this initial offering to go along with it. I certainly don't plan on getting any of the other Mez-itz 2" figures, unless they are priced reasonably (for me, that would top out at $7.99 for a 2-pack). All indications are that retailers will be asking at least twice that, so I'm nearly positive I'll be passing. $25 for the upcoming Tumbler will be pushing it as well, but I'm more likely to bite the bullet on that one time extravagance. All that said, the Batmobile and Batman Mez-itz set is a good one. I had once purchased the Halo Minimates Warthog, and was immediately disappointed enough to return it right away. I later tried the Minimates Pirates ship on clearance, and again was disappointed with the product. Not so much here. The car is sturdy, despite being (for all intents and purposes) a statue, and the look and feel were retro-cool enough for me to be pleased with the purchase. Now, bring on the Tumbler, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment