Friday, June 29, 2012

Tumbler Batmobile & Dark Knight Batman - Mezco Mez-Itz Review

In my last review, of Mezco's new Batmobile & Batman Mez-itz figure set, I mentioned how anxious I would be to get a Mez-Itz version of the Dark Knight's Tumbler Batmobile. Less than a week later, it's in my hands, and oh, how excited I am!
The Tumbler packaging matches that of the earlier Batmobile release in terms of size and product placement. The packaging is adequate for showing off the vehicle and figure, but it's not all that sturdy for product protection, or for those who want a mint box. The cardboard is fairly thin and it (along with the bubble itself) buckles and dents very easily. I was hard pressed to find a mint box - in fact, I couldn't. I gave up on that idea and just looked for the best car and figure I could find. The box back has more to offer this time, though, as it shows the other releases from the Mez-Itz Dark Knight Rises line.
We've got a couple more Batman figures, a Bane and a Catwoman to look forward to in 2" scale, along with a Batpod and some larger versions of Bane and Bats. The Batpod is the only one I'm really excited about, but I'll have to wait and see the asking price before I get too taken by it. The Batmobile is held in place by four twisty ties, fairly easily removed, and a rubber band which holds the canopy in place. Batman has a twisty around his waist.

The Batmobile itself has a really cool look. I like the stocky, deformed shape. There are just enough details to present all of the important and recognizable parts, despite a minimum of paint applications. Most of the other detailing is done with decals - the tire hubcaps and the rear exhaust look to be decals. As it turns out, the entire cockpit detailing on the previous Batmobile is done with one large sticker (which I hadn't even noticed during my previous review). They look good, but corners and edges are lifting already. Unfortunately, it may take a bit of model-building decal set to get them to stay.

The vehicle is otherwise very well done (though I'm not sure what those tiny gold wipers are supposed to accomplish way down in the front?). The tires (which DO NOT turn on this one either) are rubber, rather than the plastic they are on the other Batmobile. The canopy is held tightly in place with 4 long posts, which do an excellent job of keeping the lid in place. Once removed, a rather plain and disappointing interior is revealed, with room for two figures. One decal, no sculpted detail - I'll be keeping the top on. In fact, the interior (and the lack of rotating tires) are the only problems I have with the car. Mezco could have gone ahead and saved me a couple of bucks by not bothering with the interior at all and I'd have been fine with it...
 The Back End

Interior Cockpit


Batman himself is cute as a scowling button. He's got the same body as the other one, of course, but the paint is done more to match the movie look, though I don't think they were going for complete accuracy. He's got a cloth cape and the same basic articulation: ball jointed head, swivel shoulders and swivel legs. That's about it!
Personally, I think I like the eyeless look of the comic version better overall, but Mezco did a nice job of matching the movie look to their Mez-Itz style very well.

The Tumbler is a nifty little vehicle. I really like the earlier release Batmobile and its unique look and feel. The Tumbler matches well-enough to create a nice display. I do wish the Tumbler was a wee bit larger, but the rendition is really well executed. I'm not sure why, but the Tumbler will set you back 5 bucks more or so than the other Batmobile - $25 at Toys R Us. A 25% price hike, with less cockpit detail and not a whole lot more size? I'm not a big fan of the implications. In any event, I have my movie Tumbler Batmobile, and I am happy...

No comments:

Post a Comment