Monday, July 13, 2015

CARNOTAURUS - Schleich "World of History" small version 2015


Schleich's new 2015 Carnotaurus is an amazing little dinosaur replica. At just about 5 & 1/4" long and 2 & 1/2" tall to the tip of its horns, it packs a tremendous level of detail into a small package. Carnotaurus sports five ridge lines running the length of its back, with raised bumps running across and between. These are highlighted by a lighter blue drybrushing. This drybrush extends to the jaw and snout portion of the head, which looks really wicked with its stunted snout and angular lines.
The Carnotaurus is flashing a wicked grin, reminiscent more of the Joker than a dinosaur, with lots of expertly painted fine teeth showing. The jaws on these small versions are not articulated, so keep that in mind.

The right arm is tucked right up against the body, so it may be hard to see in pictures, but its there. The left arm extends out a little further, and with the twist to his right, this version has lots in common with his Papo relative. That one has a tail reaching up and back, though, while Schleich's version has a tail that droops down and away, acting as the third leg in a supportive tripod. My figure came with warped legs, despite a cardboard insert, but I was able to adjust it rather easily with a hot water bath. Lest we forget, the horns look terrific (as do the eyes, perfectly painted) offset in color against the dark blue color palate that this version has. In fact, I think there are about three different shades of blue over the course of the entire dinosaur, giving it a truly striking and unusual appearance.

I really love this version of Schleich's Carnotaurus. I'm not positive if that's because it's so new, or because I just really like the way it looks as a whole package: a striking sculpt with great detail and a unique and interesting paint scheme. I'm not sure if these are going to come packaged in duo boxes like the other small ones I picked up are- I ordered this one bagged. I've got the last of the new small version dinosaurs, Giganotosaurus, on its way, as well. And frankly, I can't wait for it to get here...


No comments:

Post a Comment