Monday, July 27, 2015

Wind Hunter: Rebor 1:35 Scale Utahraptor Ostrommaysorum



If you are new to dinosaur figure collectibles, you may not be familiar with Rebor yet. You will be. Rebor is fast winning my heart. With a classy presentation, increasingly attractive bases and an exemplary attention to detail and fine paint applications, their figures are to dinosaur collecting what X-Plus figures are to Godzilla and similar kaiju. I’d suggest getting on board while the initial figures are still in-stock, or risk regretting it later. Much as Papo eclipses Schleich in terms of realism and hyper-detail, Rebor ups the game and usurps the Papo kings. Rebor has released 4 dinosaurs so far, with a fifth announced for August. Utahraptor Ostrommaysorum arrived today, and “Wind Hunter” promptly proceeded to blow me away.

Rebor’s dinosaurs are packaged very professionally, boxed within a classy matte black slipcase. They are protected will in a foam tray, done in a standard 1/35 scale, and come complete with an informational card. Rebor seems to be going for some pretty dynamic poses with their dinosaurs (Utahraptor is actually mid-stride, balancing on one foot), which works both for and against them (more about that later).

 Utahraptor Ostrommaysorum is a gorgeous figure. It’s one I didn’t have much interest in, and was reluctant to purchase. I knew it would be relatively small, and for a shade over $30, I wasn’t sure I wanted to invest in it. So in my initial order, I passed. But Rebor’s Tyrannosaurus Rex and Ceratosaurus figures were so spectacular that I immediately went back and ordered “Wind Hunter” right away. I’m glad to say, I’m so happy I did. “Wind Hunter” literally took my breath away upon removal from its packaging. I’ve examined, bought, sold and reluctantly passed over thousands of figures in my 20 years of toy collecting. That “breathless feeling” is fleeting. It’s reserved for the “best of the best”, and Rebor has effectively captured it.
 
Utahraptor Ostrommayrsorum measures about 8 & ¾” long, but most of that (just under 5”) is the tail. It stands about 2 & ¾” to the top of it’s hip, excluding the base. The base, itself, is beautiful – it presents a sandy/rocky surface with additional rocks and bones strewn about. The sculpt and paintwork are top-notch and really set the figure off nicely. There’s a short metal post that slots into a hole in the base and again into the figure’s rear foot.

The face sports a variety of textures and colors, with deeply sculpted scales and prominent brow ridges above the eyes. There’s a bit of dark grey, some lighter grey highlights and a muted yellow along the sides of the muzzle. The eyes are a striking gold with a black dot. 
Moving down the neck, the Utahraptor is covered with fine hairlike feathers and the drybrushing is so subtle that I think I pick up at least four different colors and/or shades (yellow, grey, light grey, blue, brown…etc.), none of which overpowers, and lends to a sense of shimmering. The lighter grey becomes more prominent along the tail, where stripes are clearly discernable. The arm feathers have some clearer speckling, as do the feathers at the very tip of the tail. The feet and claws (on both the hands and feet) are expertly detailed and painted, giving a sense of bone and/or razor sharp nails.


The figure is quite striking, and my only complaint is the same I’ve encountered with every Rebor dinosaur I own: there’s a balancing issue. These dinosaurs, for all of their outstanding looks, cannot stand. I’ve got two T-Rex’s, two Carnotaurus’s (review coming soon), and the Utahraptor. All of them have issues staying upright. Wind Hunter and King T-Rex are both balanced on one foot, which looks great, but causes some inherently serious balance issues. It’s frustrating, mostly because it’s so unnecessary: a small metal post in the base would do the trick for the most part. I’m tempted to drill a hole in the Rex’s rock and underneath his foot, and add a metal post of my own. For the Utahraptor, I’ve gone ahead and cut a short length of clear plexiglass rod, which (you can see in the pictures) I’ve used to prop up the ride side of the figure in an effort to avoid future drooping issues. Rebor, I absolutely love your product, but you’ve got to get the standing issues resolved. Otherwise, Utahraptor Ostrommaysorum is a fantastic figure in every respect!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I really do love the Rebor models. Acrocanthosaurus "Hercules" is scheduled to ship this week, so hopefully I will have a new dinosaur to review by next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those naked hands however looks terrible and totally not realistic. They should have made it either completely naked, or realistically feathered. This "something in between" thing is really hitting my pet peeve button.

    ReplyDelete